Friday, May 28, 2010

Wait, what’s for breakfast??? Bacon and Spaghetti!

Yay! I made it to Fiji!!! And it is BEAUTIFUL. We got in around 5:00am. FYI we left on May 18th and because of time zone craziness we arrived on the 20th so technically May 19, 2010 never really existed to me… weird huh? So after we got into the Nadi airport. we drove another few hours to like a Christian hostel type place. When we arrived we were greeted by the entire Peace Corps Fiji staff where we partook in a traditional Fijian and Hindu welcoming ceremony complete with kava. Basically I think they said “we know you are going to mess up and we forgive you in advance and offer you unconditional support.” It was really really nice. Kava is a drink that is apparently part of life around here. Its made from the yoqana root and makes your mouth numb when you drink it. Very interesting….

We spent the night at that place and woke up the next morning and drove an area outside of Suva the that houses a learning center for Fijians. We stayed in dorms called bures. But these totally top any dorms I have ever seen (not that that’s to difficult to do compared to UF). These were located on top of a hill overlooking a river. Then in the community center… aka my classroom… overlooks the ocean. Oh another new part of life… tea time! Tea time happens twice a day complete with finger sandwiches and cookies. To everyone who said I’d come back skinny…. That will not be happening. Between tea time and a starchy diet, I may be in trouble. Ahhh. Oh and about that title. Meals here are sometimes… different. We eat everyday at the cafeteria on campus. Usually its rice, dalo, or some kind of starch and fish or beef stir fry or chicken. One morning we woke up to spagettios , barely cooked bacon, and a loaf a bread all on our plate. Oh yeah breakfast… the most important meal of the day.

Alright enough about the scenery and such…. A little about life. My group (we are called PCTs, Peace Corps Trainees) consists of 35 men and women from young college grads to men in their late 60s… haha yes we are quite an eclectic group. I truly love getting to know everyone. I’m already somewhat bummed that I have to leave them so soon when we move in with our host families. Don’t get me wrong I CANT wait to meet my host family… I just cannot believe I am already leaving the people again who are my good friends. Alright that’s all for now.

PS. I promise to put up pictures soon andddd I will do my best to post more often now that I have access to internet.


Also, I wrote this post like a week ago and have since moved to a place where I have even more freeeeeee access to internet!

4 comments:

  1. I am so glad that you are finding free internetz!!! I miss you and love you so much! Sending love and prayers to you Benny Benson!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY!!! i'm glad you are doing well! Suz and I were just talking about why you hadn't updated your bloggg yet! love you and miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad to finally hear from you!! And that food sounds like paradise to me. Save me some for when I come to visit next year :) Don't forget to look at your photo album often! Just know we think about you often and miss you everyday Benz.
    Love,
    Allie

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOO HOOOOOO AN UPDATE!!! I'm so happy you're enjoying yourself and the people there! Post more often and tell me everythinggggg! I love you!

    ReplyDelete